Wednesday, September 29, 2010

iN tHE E.Y.E.S oF aN EnGiNeeR..

Every structure must be built with skill and patience..  

liandra's dreamhouse
I am a licensed Civil Engineer for more than thirteen years but since I practice engineering in the academe, I always ask Renan if hindi ba mahirap sa field (is it not difficult in the field construction?). despite the knowledge and theories I've learned and discovered, I still feel intimidated in the construction world.

While I'm busy checking papers and preparing for my next lesson, he's also busy sketching, drafting, measuring, estimating. Once he's done, he would always ask for any comment or suggestion. just to shorten his agony i would always say "perfect!".. one thing i've observed, engineering is also a vocation because we cannot patent our design ideas.. mas mabuti pa nga ang quotations kasi may authorship. too bad there is no plagiarism in engineering construction design..
Another thing.. sige nga, tell me how much is the worth of the signature of a licensed CE? degrading? Oh NO! this is the challenge for us engineers.. if only we practice the code of ethics!

Renan and I have sleepless nights together. i do watch movies in the cable TV or in the DVDs while waiting for him to finish editing, changing, printing, and preparing several options for his client. He would always say: THE SUCCESS OF ANY ENGINEERING PROJECT DEPENDS ON THE SATISFACTION OF THE OWNERS. He needs to prepare every small detail of the building very clearly for the carpenters to understand and follow his instructions correctly. According to him, the compensation he gets as a Project Engineer becomes invaluable if the owner couldn't appreciate the outcome of the efforts exerted by the whole team - the carpenters, painters, plumbers, electricians and laborers with the PE as the leader. For them, recognition is more expensive than any amount of money.

From a simple sketch of the floor plan, a masterpiece is done. Renan said: ANYTHING THAT COULD BE DRAWN IN PAPER CAN BE BUILT. how? ONLY A REAL CIVIL ENGINEER KNOWS!

Now that I'm on my way towards the degree in Doctor of Engineering, I still have many questions to ask.

Why I married a Civil Engineer like me? Probably because we complement each other.. Someday, I would understand too why God directed me in this path I'm taking now..

just give me time, more time..

*dad, i learned and i'm still learning a lot from you.. i've helped in making my students become engineers.. and you teach me how to become a true civil engineer by heart..* cholomot.. wabu..

No comments:

Post a Comment